My Photo
Name:

This blog will allow you to gain rare insight into travelling with Tucan that can't be found in any guidebook or information sheet. Discover what it's really like on board one of our tours and enjoy the real, unique adventures of our travellers. On this blog you can leave a comment, ask the blogger a question or merely peruse the musings!

Sunday, January 29, 2006

San Ignacio - Caye Caulker

San Ignacio was a place I really didn’t know much about but there was an abundance of activities to keep me entertained, from caving, to white-water rafting, to floating down the river on a tyre tube! Some of the group went and did the caving and they said it was an amazing experienced - they got to see the untouched Mayan antiquities. I decided to take the easy option and float down the river in a tyre tube. This gave me the afternoon back at the hotel sitting around the swimming pool, and time to walk around this cute little town. The biggest thing I noticed was that everyone around me was speaking English, and having been in Central America for a week, it was nice to finally be able to communicate in my own language!

The best thing about being in Belize was that our next stop was Caye Caulker, and I needed a beach holiday and I wanted to go diving! I stepped off the water taxi onto the pure white sand streets – or were they the beaches? I couldn’t tell the difference. The welcome sign said “Welcome to Caye Caulker, take it slow” and after reading that, I knew I had a couple of great days coming up. This place is all pastel painted weatherboards, black afro-Caribbean bodies, and it has a real Rastafarian Caribbean feel. We could do as little or as much as we liked. I never thought I’d see the day where I hugged a shark, or nursed a stingray, but I did both of these on my half day snorkelling trip! We also had plenty of time to snorkel three different sites. Love it – don’t want to leave!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home